Monday, February 6, 2012

Information Overload!

It is EVERYWHERE!!! News, TV, Email, Facebook, Twitter. You name it you can get it anywhere at anytime. Michelle and I have been noticing lately that every restaurant you go in these days has a TV. Yeah from McDonald's to the mom and pop hole-in-the-wall restaurant. We are bombarded by information... commercials... non-sense... there seems to be no escape!

When I was a kid (yeah I know I sound like one of those people) TV was something that was enjoyed at home with family or friends, but now you can hardly go anywhere without that glowing box invading your personal space. We are trying to teach our sweet Gabriella that you don't have to be constantly entertained. It is OK to just sit and enjoy each others company. We don't have to have something in our hands or staring at something to have a good time.

I will admit...I am VERY guilty of this myself. I like my information. I like to be in the know. I like noise and flickering lights. I don't sit in silence very well. If I am in the car alone I am listening to the radio...TALK radio. I know...you would think I would be listening to cds or music or something, but no, I like my information. I am also always checking my phone for emails, Facebook messages and tweets. I am trying to limit myself so that my family knows that they are important to me, not my phone. I want to live my life in the present. I want to make memories and love and touch and laugh because we are having fun in real time, not watching somebody else live their life.

Now, am I saying that TV, Facebook and Twitter are bad? No. Not at all! I will still watch TV, I enjoy that. One of my favorite times of the day is when Gabi has gone to bed and Michelle and I get to snuggle up on the couch and watch our shows! I will still interact on Facebook and Twitter, I enjoy knowing what people are up to and getting to know them more. However, I will be aware of when I am doing that and not be glued to the TV or my phone or let those things rule my time.

I want Michelle and Gabi to understand that my time with them is valued and important to me. I want the people who we get to meet on the road know that I am interested in them and what God is doing in their lives as well.

These are just some of my thoughts...Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Justin. Sometimes it's hard to balance the need to be informed with the compulsion to know everything at every moment.
    A friend of mine once posted: "Facebook is like my refrigerator. I know there's nothing in there, but I check it every 5 minutes anyway."
    Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely, what a fantastic site and educative posts, I will bookmark your blog.Best Regards!
    Everlast Ergo Foam Leather Bag Gloves

    ReplyDelete